Monday, September 8, 2008

My Past


I just finished C.J. Mahaney's book, "The Cross Centered Life".  It's a quick read, even for me, but I was really challenged about a lot in this little book.  I want to share about one conviction that I'm going to try to apply directly to my life from the book.  One whole chapter of the book is dedicated to laying out specific ways that we can have a "Cross Centered Day"  by focusing on the Gospel.  

1-Memorize The Gospel
2-Pray The Gospel
3-Sing The Gospel
4-Study The Gospel
And here is the main point for this post...
5-Review How The Gospel Has Changed You

Mahaney talks about how many times people want to FORGET their past.  Me included.  I have several years in my life that I'd rather not EVER THINK ABOUT again.  The heartache I put my parents through.  The potential, and often real, danger I many times put myself in.  All the selfish, prideful and rebellious things I've done.  There are even certain places I'd rather not visit because the memories are just too hard.  But this is the place I need to be to remember WHAT GOD HAS BROUGHT ME THROUGH!!

I Timothy 1:13 says, "Even though I (Paul) was a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy."

Knox Chamblin writes, "Vital to Paul's effectiveness as an apostle is that he never forgets his day as a persecutor ... An ongoing awareness of grace reminds Paul of the appalling sin from which he has been delivered; an ongoing awareness of sin keeps him dependent on grace."

Did you hear that?  We should remember our past so we are turned to the Cross.  We must no longer believe Satan's lies that God CANNOT and/or WILL NOT forgive us.  Instead, remember where we were and what Jesus Christ did on the cross so that we can be forever forgiven and allow God to use those times to bring others to the foot of the cross as well!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for the comment. It took me a few weeks to get my feet back on the ground. I should be back on track. I'll have to pick up that book. I'm an avid reader! I don't know how many times I've felt guilty or upset about the past. I sometimes feel like it will come back to haunt me, but I've constantly been working to give all my worries to God. I've been looking for the positive side and I think you described it precisely from reading that book! Great job!

Ashley said...

I should definitely read that Tasha. I love your words in this blog, I needed to hear them!

a.helms said...

Thank you so much for this post. I have been working through my past for a long time but there is one part I want so much to just forget. I would love to read that book. Maybe it would give me a different perspective on why I need to not forget but just forgive myself for it. Thank you again for these words.