Friday, September 5, 2008

Do's And Don'ts





 A few days ago Josh had a lunch meeting by Carolina Place Mall so we thought we'd all go together.  Josh dropped me and the kids off at the mall and he headed over to his meeting down the street.  I'm not a big shopping person, big shocker huh=)  I think we've only been to the mall 2 other times since we moved here over 2 years ago!  Anyway, they have an awesome play area for the kids.

So we pulled out our double stroller, prepped the kids to OBEY all the way, right away, with a happy heart and said goodbye to Josh and our only way of escape.  I must admit I was a little nervous, not knowing when Zeke's next little episode may occur, because Josh had taken the car and we would be stuck, bad attitudes and all!

Here are a few things I learned today:

1-If you have a job wandering around the mall giving surveys I'd suggest you NOT GO to the kid's play area and ask a mom who is clearly by herself trying to keep an eye on 2 toddlers going 2 different directions.  She DOES NOT have "3 spare minutes" to answer a survey about hair care products!

2- Make sure you take the kids on a potty break BEFORE entering the play area so as not to provoke a meltdown in order to accomplish the task later on=)

3- Don't even bother going in a department store with tables of "stuff" up and down the center aisles with a side-by-side double stroller.  YOU WILL GET STUCK!!

Now I KNOW many of ya'll go to the mall to play at their playgrounds.  What are some helpful hints you've learned?  This was a first for me all by myself.  Malls make me nervous enough as it is...

6 comments:

Joy said...

Hand sanitizer... lots and lots of it! I guess that's true for any playground though.

And another is don't hover. I step back and keep a Lioness-watching-her-cub eye on the kiddos but let them have space to explore.

Make eye contact with adults. This is one of the rules they teach you in self defense class. If you're in a parking lot, don't look the other way if a man is approaching you. Look him straight in the eye and keep walking. It throws them off, not to mention you can recognize their face. Less likely to bother you!

sheltonfamily said...

So funny...I think we've been 2 times this week! I grew up a mall girl and I rarely buy anything, but it is a fun outing for us. I love to use the dept. store brooms cause they are always clean etc.....and we normally get a cookie for a treat at the end for mommy and the girls. I've also learned that some days are good and others are not so luckily we live so close we can just leave!

Kelly Via said...

Hehe, I couldn't figure out why Holly would be sweeping at the dept. store...she is talking about the bathrooms:) hehe

I too love to take the girls to the mall to play. I think it is great...but not on a Saturday night of course. I agree with Joy...use the hand sanitizer. Once you have been there a few times and you watch the moms' who decide that its OKAY to change their kids' poopy diapers IN THE PLAYPLACE (instead of walking to the bathroom in sight...) you realize that its not so clean.

It's also a great place for our girls to learn to wait their turn and to deal with other children who may or may not have great manners.

Jennifer Hambrick said...

I have learned to always bring a change of clothes for my kids...for some reason we ALWAYS have a diaper blow-out at the mall =) We have had to buy new pants at The Children's Place two times now!

Ditto the hand sanitizer!

Don't freak out if Rainy or Zeke have a tantrum. No one really is paying attention =)

cpullum said...

Wow this is so right!!! I agree with all your tips about the mall!
Loved your insight on the mall!
cpullum(at)yahoo(dot)com

Joan said...

Oh yes, We have a play area hear at one of our malls. The only thing is it's the least nicest mall of the 4 soon to be 5 we have...

i have not have too many issue though we have not gone there much, it's nice in the winter time when you cannot get to a park. But I must agree with the "potty before play" rule. Never fails, as soon as I sit down, get comfy, and find a mom to talk to. "I have to go to the bathroom" lol.