Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Not The Average Prayer

Most of the time when I pray for my children it is for future decisions they will be making down the road.  For example, Josh and I continually pray for their salvation and for their future mate.  We pray that our Areyna Joy will bring Peace and Joy like her name means and that Zeke will be a strong leader and hold strong to His faith!  

But, while I was having my quiet time this morning I realized that NOW is the time that I should start praying my children through their sinful desires and struggles that they are going through today.  No matter how "little" they seem.  I guess I just never thought about praying about Areyna's bossy and selfish tendencies.  I never thought too much about lifting up Zeke's bad temper.  I don't want to wait until those pre-teen or teenage years when the "tough" times come.  My kids need my prayers now, more than ever, because they still have yet to KNOW our Heavenly Father and the power of prayer, so it is my job to pray them through these struggles they are going through today.  

So, today I prayed a different prayer for my children.  
"God, please help Areyna to somehow see that she needs to give to Zeke instead of take away.  Give her a sensitivity to Zeke and his creative ideas for playing.  Help her to obey her mommy and daddy so that it will go well with her.  Thank you for her tender spirit.  Thank you for her sensitivity to emotions."
"Lord, thank you for Zeke's strong will.  I pray that you will funnel that in a positive way.  Help me not to quench his spirit but guide it.  Give him patience with the tasks he tries to do and help him realize that I am here to help him if he can't get something the first time."

What a blessing my children are.  I hope I never forget to pray for the little things that they are going through.

7 comments:

the broomes said...

This is a great reminder and challenge, Tasha. I remember coming across my mom's prayer journal as a little girl and seeing all the ways that she was daily praying/claiming Scripture for me and my sisters.

Kelly Via said...

Awesome Tash! Definitely a great reminder for me. I need to be praying for our girls in this way as well. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I tend to pray for the future too, but my little ones need God's intervention now just as we do. What a great reminder to us parents!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tash!
Long time, huh? Things are good here. What about for you guys? Miss seeing you!

Wanda said...

Excellent idea, girlfriend!

My kids are all teens now and I spent quite a bit of time praying over their lives.....
I'll tell you....it works!

They are very thoughtful and compassionate people. They are also in love with Christ and easily burdened for other's trapped in sin.

Great post and cute blog.

Jami said...

Wonderful reminder! Thanks for this. I'm popping over from Lysa's blog! God bless!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder.

My toddler is indeed strong-willed! She is the subject of one of the two posts I submitted to Lysa.

I found your blog there on the list. Glad I stopped by!

Many blessings,
Rena Gunther