Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Next Wave Is Coming

When I was in 8th grade my family moved to Charleston, SC. I was most definitely a beach girl. When I reached high school and could drive on my own my friends and I would pack up almost every day during the summers and head to the beach before we had to be at work or I'd meet some other friends and I'd attempt to go surfing. I wasn't really good unless my friend could hold my board and tell me when the next good wave was so I'd be prepared to hold on tight and get ready to stand firm on my board and ride the wave in. He kept trying to tell me that about every seventh wave is a good one, just count on it.
Someone once wisely told me and Josh that "When you are not in the midst of a storm, you are about to be." Isn't that so true. Just last week while Josh and I were enjoying our long-awaited valentine's date we were discussing how good life was going and we were just bracing for the next storm that was bound to come. It was inevitable. Well, we called it. You've probably been wondering where I've been in the blogosphere this week. I've been speechless, drained, overwhelmed by circumstances, and completely blown over by discouragement. This is the time I've got to hold on tight and stand firm and ride this storm in. God promises that this too shall pass. Obedience isn't always easy. God didn't promise that everyone would always agree with me or that I'd always be liked, but He does promise that He will not leave me or forsake me. He does promise that He will bless the obedient and He does promise that His love is ever-present and un-circumstancial.
After riding an incredible wave, I'd jump back in the water, swim back out in the ocean and lay on my board, relaxing and waiting for the next good wave to come my way. I know it's coming soon, it's inevitable.

3 comments:

sheltonfamily said...

Ahhh...I know this feeling.. I've learned lately that sometimes I don't want to get back in the water and I literally have to depend on God for the courage to jump back in with all the faith that it will require. We will pray for you all tonight.

Jennifer Hambrick said...

I'm right with you this week...and I really needed to hear this.

the burchard bunch said...

praying for you...