Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Frugal Valentine's Day

My mom started one of the coolest traditions on Valentine's Day that we enjoyed all growing up. I have started implementing it with my own family. We don't have a HUGE valentine's day celebration, we keep it simple and concentrate on the heart and our actions showing our love and appreciation for each other. Anyway, this is what my mom always did; she would cut out paper hearts and hide them all over the house and other places. Each one would have a little message on it. I'd always wonder where another one would pop up next. She put them on the bathroom mirrors, on the steering wheel for my dad, in our sock drawer, on the coffee pot, in our lunch box, inside our science book, in our PE bag, on our Bible, etc. Then at the end of the day she would send us (all the kids) on a scavenger hunt around the house to find our "special" gift, candy, t-shirt, CD or something of that sort. I loved it growing up and my husband has enjoyed it too. Now my 3-year-old has learned what "heart day" is all about and I'm excited to start the tradition with her and Zeke too. You can click here for other fun, frugal Valentine ideas!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Cute idea! I love leaving my husband little surprise notes, but I haven't done that in awhile. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Anonymous said...

I like that idea, we do something similar for Christmas, but never thought of it for V-day.
Blessings

the broomes said...

That is a great idea, Tash. You are so great at creating meaningful memories with your family. Thank you for the idea...:)

Parkison Family said...

Thanks for the idea Tasha! My Mom used to do something similar for us on our bdays. Especially when she was single and didn't have money. Honestly those are the bdays I remember not the ones with the big parties and presents.

Jennifer Hambrick said...

I think I'm going to steal the idea =)

Kaye said...

Thanks for the help! I have added this post to a list of great Valentine ideas on my site!