Friday, January 11, 2008

Coupons and Family Fun

My friend Melissa Rutty is teaching me about the world of COUPONS. I have started buying the Sunday paper and last week I found an unlimited coupon at Duncan Dounuts for a buy one get one free ice cream cone so we all went and got 4 ice cream cones for $4. I was so excited. It was nice to get out of the house with the kids and have a fun, cheap family outing. I'm also learning to get groceries with coupons. Yeah, I feel like a grandma sitting on the floor in the living room cutting out coupons but I saved $14.10 on groceries last week (not counting the $11.35 on the VIC card) and that was my first try. This week will be better because it's double coupon week. THANKS Melissa. You know you've found a true friend when she can teach you to save money=)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! You are so welcome... watch out... this saving money thing starts out innocent enough but it can become an obsession. I guess it is a good thing though. I feel like when I do this I am being a good steward... looking at it from the point that my husband works hard for the money he makes and to honor him I need to make it stretch as far as possible! :-) And you are so right... there are lots of fun family outings you can do that won't bust the budget.

Emily Jennings said...

Have you tried thegrocerygame.com? Its amazing if they have your store.

Ashley said...

Tasha! So I'm not a huge grocery shopper, BUT...I have an MVP secret for you! You know how food lion will do the buy 1 get 1 free deals? Well you do not have to buy 2 items to save! I know some stores actually mean buy 1 get 1 free, but at food lion (with the MVP card) it's buy 1 get 1 free or buy only 1 thing for HALF OFF. The same goes for all of their buy 3,4,5 for a certain price...it actually means that even just 1 of the items is on sale! You mave have already known that, but I know every1 doesn't! :D

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have one tip to add that works for me: I bought a letter sized expanding file for my coupons. I don't limit myself to the grocery store!(Melissa is right, it can become an obsession =) ). I labeled each tab for ALL kinds of different things:pharmacy, pizza, costco(big fan), petsmart, etc. :)