Wednesday, June 11, 2014

My Kids Already Know I'm Not The Perfect Mom

Oh yes, I am a mom.

A mom to five littles, mind you.

I'm no expert, but I do have 9 years experience.

But I never allow myself to get too cocky.

Because just as soon as I figure out what works with one, another comes along and ruins the whole darn system;)

And you don't even have to be a mama to multiples to know this strategy.  I think kids have a radar for that kind of thing.  They know that moment you have found "that thing" that will demand encourage obedience, and then switch it all up on you!

And every so often this mama has been known to blow up lose her temper a bit.

But I remind my kids of this one fact very often:

"I am your mom, and I have been a mom for a long time,
but I have never been a mom to _________________________."

I fill in the blank with the exact situation they are going through.

For example, when Areyna likes to test the dry erase markers on the carpet (yes my 9-year-old!) and cut swatches of fabric out of curtains because they would make good clothes for her Barbies I say...

"I am your mom, and I have been a mom for a long time,
but I have never been a mom to a 9-year-old little girl, the OLDEST of my children, 
who continuously finds destructive creative ways to play, 
leaving a trail of disaster behind her."

OR

"I am your mom, and I have been a mom for a long time,
but I have never been a mom to a little boy who only limits himself to the off-limit stuff."

OR

"I am your mom, and I have been a mom for a long time,
but I have never been a mom to a boy who insists on wearing 
long sleeps and long pants in 90 degree weather."

I mean really, the scenarios range from the kids struggling with lying and stealing to the kids refusing to take showers after gymnastics practice.

But I never stop there.  I don't pass the blame to them...ok, maybe for a split second I let them sit in it, but then I quickly own up to my part.  I remind them that mama is just as sinful as they are and needs just as much grace from them as they do from me.  I apologize for my outburst unkind words and tendency to try to rationally argue with a 5-year-old whatever else may have happened in the heat of the moment, and ask for their forgiveness and grace.

My kids certainly know their mom isn't perfect, but we are working on this grace thing, one day at a time.

No comments: