Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Lessons I Learned From The Other Mama In The House



Alethia is a nurturer at heart.

She is so patient with Jude.  She will stop what she is doing to help him unstick the stroller wheel from under the kitchen chairs.  She runs to find his bubby when he is sleepy or hurt.
She is so kind to him.  She genuinely loves him and wants what is best for him.  She practically begs me to change his diapers and feed him his applesauce and clean him up after meals.  She finds JOY in the mundane tasks of keeping up with a baby and filling his emotional love tank.

She is always aware of his needs.  Constantly looking out for his wellbeing.  She can hear his cry from a mile away and knows when he wants to get out of the swing or when he is stuck in the closet (ahem...).

Sometimes, okay maybe most of the time, I feel hurried by life.  Hurry up and get in the car.  Hurry up and walk in the door.  Hurry up and eat.  Hurry up and walk.  Hurry up, hurry up, hurry up.  In fact, I've caught myself being impatient with Alethia as she lavishes unlimited attention (which consumes time) to her siblings, especially Jude.

But if I can just stop for a second and take my daughter's cue, the one waiting patiently, loving unconditionally, embracing her role as "helper" and "big sister" I could most certainly learn a lot about my own role that God has given me.

Alethia is going to be a great mama, and she's starting by helping her own mama to be a better mama.

No comments: