Monday, April 15, 2013

Finding My Safety In The Bridegroom

I have a tainted view as I try to picture God as my groomsman.  Partly because of some of the books and devotionals that I've read that are so touchy-feely and "fluffy" that it makes me uncomfortable to picture Christ in that capacity.

But maybe I'm not supposed to actually picture him as my physical husband, but as my life-mate, finding rest, peace and safety in Him.

I just began going through You Belong To The BRIDEGROOM, another great devotional by Aliene Thompson.

"Just began", as in today, but I can already tell that it is going to be good.

Something grabbed my heart while reading through it that I'd never really even thought of.

So often we struggle with our past.  We are taunted by memories and life-long consequences from foolish choices that we made in our youth.  Satan uses our past to tempt, remind and/or condemn, when Christ tells us otherwise.

HE is our source of true forgiveness and HIS sacrifice paid the debt.
The fear of our past has been washed away.

But what about our future?
What about the fear of the unknown or getting old?

Here is what Isaiah 54:4-5 has to say about it:

"Fear not, for you will not be ashamed;
be not confounded, for you will not be disgraced;
for you will forget the shame of your youth,
and the reproach of your widowhood
you will remember no more.
For your Maker is your husband,
the LORD of hosts is his name;
and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer,
the God of the whole earth he is called."

So, fear not, for "the God of the whole earth" has redeemed not only your past, but your future as well.

No comments: