Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lessons From The Classroom - Progress Report

Well, we've made it past our first month of school.  It has been a learning curve for all of us, but I feel like we've got a great routine now and am excited for what's to come!

Now, I am about to become very vulnerable here, so no snickering:)  It's time to reveal the name I've chosen for our school.

Ready?

"Learning Together"

I know, I know.  Super cheesy, but they have all these little requirements for choosing your school name, and I have no clue what I'm doing so I figured it was the perfect name for a first-time Home School mom and her first-time Home Schooled kids.

Last week Zeke finished up Get Ready for the Code - Book a with 5 stars!  I am so proud of him and all the little light bulbs (no matter how dim they are) that have gone off in his little brain as he begins piecing together the things he's learned with everyday life:)
The next two weeks or so we are going to review the letters one-by-one that he learned in this book before moving on.  I've got some fun activities planned and reading as he finds the letter of the day.  It should be fun!

Areyna has been flying through her lessons.  I went ahead and started her in Explode the Code 1 to make sure we didn't leave anything out with her other reading book.  It is really easy for her right now, but there are a few things that this curriculum has added that have been really good for her.

For example:  This activity below was new for her.  She had to think of 2 words for each of the endings I wrote on her paper and sound the words out to write them down herself.  I've been very impressed with her progress.  I'm wondering if I should be a little worried with the last word choice for -eg, ha!

I didn't anticipate her moving so quickly so now we're waiting on Explode the Code Book 2 to get here.  We should be finished with that one by Christmas.

Math is, by far, Areyna's favorite thing to work on.  She will be finished with her first book of Horizons Math K SET of 2 Student Workbooks K-1 and K-2.  Again, I went ahead and began with Kindergarten to get her used to the curriculum and to make sure we aren't leaving anything out.  She should be all caught up and completed with first grade on time at the rate she is going!

She can now tell time on the hour.  She can write and count to 100 by 5's and 10's.  Her addition is getting quicker, she is counting money and she is getting much better at following the directions.

So, I give my class an A+ for the first 6 weeks (almost) of school.

I wasn't so impressed with their teacher for the first few weeks, but I think she is getting used to her class and her responsibilities.  She is more comfortable saying "no" to things because school must be done, and she is actually beginning to enjoy teaching her children:)

3 comments:

Silvia said...

Good job! Keep it up mama! I'm so excited that I have 2 share...We are about to start and I found two super simple Bible based curriculum options that have REALLY impressed me. I think they will show us God's sovereignty through History and power through science. They are SUPER easy to use, provide a TON of additional material (if you want it) and can be done as a family. In addition, they can be use for years and are very affordable.
-Science- Considering God's Creation Set
-History- Mystery of History
If you fins any other resources that impress you, pass them on:)
xoxo

Unknown said...

Great JOB!!!

Amanda @ The Pelsers said...

We had a hard time choosing our name too. Good thing we have until the first child turns 7 to register in NC :)

Here's how we came up with our name: http://thepelsers.com/2011/07/04/a-name-for-our-homeschool/

Glad their teacher is doing better :)