Thursday, June 23, 2011

Linen Underwear

I've been reading through the Books Of Prophet in the Old Testament.  Jeremiah was a pretty notable prophet in the Old Testament.

Have you ever watched a movie, or a terrible audition on American Idol, where you feel downright embarrassed and uncomfortable for the guy on center stage?  That is pretty much how I've felt through the majority of this book for Jeremiah.  He was so obedient, even though the Lord made him do some crazy things.

Here is one example:

This comes from Jeremiah 13

"This is what the Lord said to me: 'Go and buy yourself linen underwear and put it on, but don't get it wet.' So I bought underwear as the Lord instructed me and put it on.
Then the word of the Lord came to me a second time: 'Take the underwear that you bought and are wearing, and go at once to the Euphrates River and hide it in a rocky crevice.' So I went and hid it by the Euphrates, as the Lord commanded me.
A long time later the Lord said to me, 'Go at once to the Euphrates and get the underwear that I commanded you to hide there.' So I went to the Euphrates and dug up the underwear and got it from the place where I had hidden it, but it was ruined - of no use whatsoever.
Then the word of the Lord came to me; 'This is what the Lord says: Just like this I will ruin the great pride of both Judah and Jerusalem. These evil people, who refuse to listen to Me, who walk in the stubbornness of their own hearts, and who have followed other gods to serve and worship - they will be like this underwear, of no use whatsoever.  Just as underwear clings to one's waist, so I fastened the whole house of Israel and of Judah to Me' - this is the Lord's declaration - 'so that they might be My people for My fame, praise, and glory, but they would not obey."

Really?!  A story about linen underwear in the Bible?  I think God maybe could have got the point across using a different method on this one, ha!

While reading through all the crazy things that these prophets had to do I get that "embarrassed feeling" for them.  They were ridiculed, called liars, told they were crazy, ordered to only tell the "good stuff"...

But they were obedient.  Very rarely do you ever see a prophet complaining to God about having to go and buy linen underwear and hide it by the river or run in fear of telling God's people that they've blown it again and they've made God angry.

I want to be like that!

No, not going out and buying linen underwear to hide by the river, but obedient, no matter what the cost.  No matter how crazy I look, or sound, or feel!

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Linen panties are headed your way.

The Via Colony said...

Very funny Andrew;)

Unknown said...

Wow. Who knew they had underwear back then! I can add this to my list of strange/awkward Bible stories lol