Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Pesto over Whole Wheat Pasta
Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 (16-ounce) jars of roasted red peppers (without salt), drained
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces whole wheat pasta
Toast walnuts in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 5 minutes.
Pulse until fairly smooth. Slowly drizzle in olive oil until well blended. Cook whole wheat pasta (2 ounces dried per serving) in boiling water for approximately 10-12 minutes. Drain reserving 2 tablespoons of the cooking water. Stir pasta and water into warmed sauce and serve.
Note: Always save a little of the cooking water to mix with the pasta as the starch in the water will allow the sauce to stick better to the pasta.
You can find other yummy healthy recipes at AccentHealth.com/recipes!