Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Debunking A Common Coupon Myth

"I just don't buy anything that I see coupons for."

This is the most frequent phrase I hear (and which I even used to believe) when individuals contemplate starting to get into the couponing scene.  But, unless you have a food allergy or are just Brand-partial you can always find at least a few coupons that could save you a couple bucks.

Example:

What I bought this week-
Blueberries, Strawberries and Bananas
2 cans of Diced Tomatoes
1 box of whole grain spaghetti
2 boxes of brown rice
2 boxes of pop-tarts - 12 count
7 boxes of Celestial Seasoning Tea (Josh drinks this before singing)
2 1/2 dozen eggs
32 oz. of coffee creamer
3 kinds of face wash (we've been using free travel sizes and were in desperate need=)
1 box of ziploc baggies
2 boxes of sandwich meat
1 carmel syrup
1 bag of tortillas
1 package of highlighters

The 3 items highlighted in black are the only items not on sale or which I bought without a coupon.

Total before discounts - $95(ish)
I spent $45 out of pocket
Saved $50.10
(about $30 in VIC card sales and $20 just with coupons)

This is not to brag, this is to give you hope that you can do it and still eat healthy within a budget using coupons.  Now, go out there and get some GREAT deals!=)

6 comments:

Abbey said...

Where do you get fruit coupons? I never see them, but another friend in SC was talking about them as well.

The Via Colony said...

I haven't found any coupons for fruit but I just get the handful of fruit that is on sale for that week. There's usually at least 1 that is buy 1 get 1 so I just get one at 1/2 price. I also find fruit on the discount rack at the back of the produce department. At Harris Teeter they have bags for $1 of apples, oranges or grapefruit that need to be sold right away. If you find out about any fruit coupons let me know too=)

Anonymous said...

Hey! Do you need my tea coupons? I can mail those to you the next time I come across some. I don't buy tea and just throw them away!

Tim said...

caramel syrup over pop-tarts and diced tomatoes is my fav... and so nutritious too...

Jennifer Hambrick said...

thats funny, but that is one of the main reasons i initially was so hesitant to start this whole coupon venture too. how silly of me =)

Anonymous said...

If you have a Super Target they sometimes have printable store coupons for fruit and vegetables. Currently there's one that's good for $1 off Fresh Broccoli, Cauliflower or Romaine.