Monday, February 2, 2009

Living With Less To Live On Less

Josh and I have been on this "aww, just give-it-away" kick lately.  I always love when Josh gets sucked into these things with me=)  Doesn't it feel so good to get rid of stuff that you don't use or need anymore?  Doesn't it feel so good to give someone something that they NEED when you no longer do?  It's one of my favorite things=)

Just like everybody else the economy has had an effect on us.  Don't get me wrong, we are doing fine.  We aren't exactly rollin' in the dough but God is good and faithful to provide for every need!  The failing economy has more been a reminder of the frailty of this world and what it has to offer.  We have been more determined to be content with what God has given us and realize how blessed we are and to give, get rid and live simply.

We are already on a tight budget but instead of thinking, "I can't go to _________" and "I can't buy ____________"  I am learning that "I don't need to go to _____________" and "I don't need to buy____________".  I already have so much!  I have stopped going LOTS of places.  I stay at home a lot.  I have more time to spend with my kids, my husband, and with my blog of course=)  It allows us to use the money more wisely on things that we need and that matter.

I love trying to make our home a safe place and a place we can really call home but I am slowly learning how to do it without having to go to the store to buy something for it.  We've been selling some of our furniture on Craigslist - our little house was too crowded, besides that, we are about to have another little one to add to the bunch.  We've been purging our old books and clothes - we don't need them.  

We've really been inspired by Francis Chan.  He is a pastor in Simi Valley, California who has decided to live a life of example, humility, and generosity.  His family of 6 lives in a 1000 sq. ft. house and lives on as little as possible so they have more to give to the church and to missions.  He's written an incredible book that I am beginning to read called Crazy Love.  You can read Josh's review of the book HERE.

Wow, I want to live like that.  I say I don't care about worldly possessions but do I really live like that?  Bottom line, I just want to be willing to live the life God has called me to live and fall more in love with Him.  For me, that means getting rid of excess things in my life that are distracting to me and changing my mindset to see that I don't have to have tons of money to give, but to find other ways to give like God has commanded us to do.

What is it for you?

8 comments:

Abbey said...

Great post. I can echo your sentiments a lot. Irresistible Revolution (though it has some poor theology) radically changed the way I think about how we live. Living simply but meaningfully is really an example to those who go to our church. And it takes a lot of effort - but well worth it!

I'm trying out a new shopping plan this month to save money. :)

Emily Jennings said...

I hate that pretty much when we think of going somewhere or doing something it costs money! I'm trying to think of new things to do without shelling out money left and right!

I'm going to look into that book.

Kelly Via said...

Awesome Tash; don't you just love getting rid of things you don't need! Plus, the HUGE bookreader I am (ahem...) I have read most of that book (still...working on it, but at the end!) and it is great!! Really great stuff in there.

Rhonda said...

If I haven't worn it in 6 months, I don't need it. If I haven't used it in 6 months, I don't need it. When in doubt...get rid of it ;). It also helped that we bought a very tiny house. We had to really simplify.
For Jubal, we let him pick out one of his toys to give when there is a birthday, Christmas, etc. Whenever he gets a new toy, he gives one away (most of the time). We try to keep all his toys limited to a basket under his bed. Jubal has also been learning about giving/sharing through this whole practice. It's great.
Good for you guys for making life a little easier. It's def. worth it!

Ashley said...

Tasha these are great words. Definitely hit home for me....I rarely let go anything. I have my 'fat' jeans, 'skinny' jeans, and my 'regular' jeans. .....I've got jeans that I wore in MIDDLE SCHOOL. I may need to do some "getting rid" of my own.

the broomes said...

This same idea has been weighing heavily on me lately, Tash. I look forward to you challenging me in this area of living simply so that we can give generously...in about 3 weeks!!! We can't wait to see ya'll!!!

Tim said...

You said, "It allows us to use the money more wisely on things that we need and that matter." What's cool is I picked up Piper's Desiring God again for my trip to MT. The chapter on Money has done the exact same thing... I was planning to buy a new "_____" but have given much thought to doing without...

Joy said...

I constantly have "thrift bags". I once helped a friend move and she THREW AWAY curtains and books and other things people could USE. I was appalled but she didn't want me to thrift them for her.

Anyway, I think it is definitely okay to decorate and make our homes homey but whatever you don't use, definitely get rid of! That's what we do and my husband is grateful I'm not a packrat.