Monday, December 22, 2008

A Smartie Is Cheaper Than A Diaper


While Areyna was potty training we gave her little "incentives" for going potty.  You know, like a sticker on her sticker chart (that really never worked for Areyna) or a gummy bear or something.  It was the hardest habit to break though.  It was a rough day when she figured out that she just had to potty to go potty.  So, we vowed never to do it with Zeke.  

Well, we gave in about 2 weeks ago.  We knew Zeke could go and if we asked him he'd go pretty well but we could sense he needed a little more incentive for some consistency.  So, a couple of  weeks ago we started giving him a single Smartie every time he'd go potty.  By that Friday Zeke had his FIRST full day in big boy undies without an accident.  In fact, it's been almost 2 whole weeks and we've only had about 4 accidents.  

He's not nearly to the point of being fully potty trained but if I can remember to ask him every hour or so we'll make it to the potty in time.  He'll tell me on his own about half of the time.  We're getting there and he is doing GREAT!  He even has a dry diaper when he gets up from his naps which means we are averaging about 1 diaper a day!  We can handle that=)

So, for the little amount of work to ask him every so often and go set him on the potty I'll take handing out 1 smartie over going through 4-5 diapers a day!

Do you reward for potty-training?  What kinds of things do you do?

7 comments:

Kelly Via said...

We did the sticker chart for Cana, and she loved it. I think we will be entering into the potty training world in the next few months with Kayil, and I am not sure what we will do with her yet. I do think we will do the incentive thing, though...since she just LOVES to listen and obey :) HA!

sheltonfamily said...

Funny! You know Ellie liked it when I gave her a candy or something, but it really didn't work until she was ready which unfortunately was around 3! She then had no problems and it was so much easier. I think Anna will be all about a reward! A smartie is a good idea. You might have a few months being diaper free! Nice!

Emily Jennings said...

I am all about incentives! But unfortunately Luke isn't. He's my first one that just is not interested in the potty or underwear. Although he is aware of what he is doing in his diaper, so we are about to get serious...

Joy said...

With Elaina she got a sticker. She liked putting the stickers on her plastic potty chair. Every now and then I'd forget to give her a sticker and she'd never ask about it. So one day, at some point, no more stickers.

BUT Nonna has a gumball machine at her house, filled with peanut M&Ms. Whenever she goes poo at her Nonna's house she gets an M&M (even still she thinks that she is entitled to one but it doesn't bug me since it's not every single day). She's been potty-trained for a year in January! She still has accidents, though. Has too much fun and forgets to tell me she needs a potty break.

Tiffany said...

hey I keep forgetting to get on here and thank you for all of the sweet comments you've left on my blog! so Thank You! and Congrats and the little one on the way! I am about 1 month ahead of you so i can feel your pain with the morning sickness:) hopefully it gets better for you soon!

as for potty training...just in the last 2 weeks has Jericho finally WILLINGLY pottied...which is the best christmas present EVER! i tried incentives over the last year but without success and now he just seems to want to go without them...just me taking him in there every half hour...but maybe incentives will be in order for getting HIM to tell me when he needs to go:) keep posting your success!

Abbey said...

I'm all about bribing. :)

Tony C said...

Sounds like a great plan to me! I bribed my oldest when it came time to potty train and she breezed through it. My wife gives me candy when I put the lid back down...hey...wait a minute!

(Women are so much smarter than us)


Merry Christmas!!