Thursday, October 2, 2008

Just Because It's Cheaper Doesn't Mean It's Always Better


It was a still a few days until payday and we were in desperate need (like one more left) of diapers!!  So, I figured diapers into my CVS transactions last week.  I had several coupons to stack so I ended up getting 104 CVS diapers for $14.  Pretty sweet.  

Now, I'm all about trying anything, but I usually don't do generic diapers because that is just not something to mess with, but we were desperate and I figured, "it's CVS, they've gotta work alright".

Well, here it is 1 1/2 weeks later and we've had 3 incidents already.

1-Zeke is running around and then he stops mid-run and his diaper just drops off!!!  

2-Zeke tells Josh that he has a poopy and he didn't hardly touch the velcro tabs before it drops to the floor for him to bring it to his daddy, poop and all!

After this incident we figured we just needed to keep pants on him at all times to keep the diaper ON!  But alas, this morning...

3-Zeke starts tugging at his jammies and says "uh-oh, diaper, oh-no, diaper OFF!"  Yes, his diaper fell off IN HIS PANTS!!!

I think I'll go try to take the second pack of CVS diapers back.  They absorbed alright, but the velcro tabs left much to be desired.  PLUS, they are girly with pink swirlies...Zeke doesn't need pink swirlies!=)

Are there any generics out there that are actually worth it?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I don't know how you feel about Walmart's diapers but I have used them on Andrew alot and have not had a problem with them at all. And I can get 92 diapers for about $14....not as good as you did at CVS but better than the name brand!

TonyaK

Anonymous said...

Hahahhahhh!!!

my corey wore princess pull-ups to bed for 2 weeks one time because precious hubby bought the wrong kind.

i agree wi' cha'

btw- your stinky feet post is hilarious. I sooo want you guys to come sing for our church some time!!

Anonymous said...

The closest to "generic" that I'll touch is Luvs and I actually swear by them. We did Pampers for the first year or so, then switched to Luvs. The Pampers for infants are wonderful in every way imaginable, but somewhere along the transition to cruisers they just stopped being wonderful (size 3 I think?) and Luvs were better and cheaper.

Abbey said...

Have you tried Kroger brand? We liked them when we lived in NC and would always pick up a big pack if we visited family.

I miss Kroger!!

Amanda and Kyle said...

We used Walmart brand as well both Parent's choice and White cloud with great success with both girls. I never had any trouble with them and as they got older they wore them until they were full.

the broomes said...

I used to be a self-acclaimed diaper snob as well...but in the past few months we've switched AB over to the Wal-mart brand and they're really not bad. (I've tried Target's brand as well and didn't like them at all.) Sure, pampers are my preferred choice, but for half the price I just can't justify it. I think that I'll still use the Swaddlers with the new baby, though. -With that nasty breast-milk poop I don't want to take any chances!!!!

sheltonfamily said...

We love Sam's Club brand. They work really well. I get $176 for $30. I also don't mind the walmart brand. I hate CVS, Kroger, Target, etc... the velcro thing is the problem for us as well...

mom said...

Duct tape can fix anything.

Joan said...

oh no! nothing worse than crappy diapers ( no pun intended ) I do not think I have ever tried generic diapers because I feel the exact same as you, Costco brand is as far as I have gone and those are pretty good. I just don't always have 35.00 for a box.

But I am glad to hear the poop at least stayed in the diaper and not on the walls.

Deedee said...

I am using Costco, but it is a shame to have to take out another mortgage to pay for diapers even though you get so many! Just Kidding... I did like Luvs as well, but they have perfume in them that make my kids break out. So, back to Costco - the Walmart DriBottoms just didn't do it for us. They didn't stretch very well and they leaked.

Emily Jennings said...

I like Luvs a lot, they aren't generic but quite a bit cheaper than Huggies or Pampers. You don't have Publix, do you? I like their diapers just fine. But there's not much worse than plain old cheapo diapers!

Anonymous said...

LOL I'm sorry to hear about your diaper saga. I personally am a Pamper's fan. It's one name brand I almost never budge on.

In our area I've noticed that the generic brands at the grocery stores are all actually made by the same company. Then each store has it's own box. That's the only difference.

I've heard some people are happy with Costco and Wal Mart brand diapers.