Saturday, November 17, 2007

Is This Normal?


Areyna is 2 1/2 years old and is in the process of being potty trained. I really want to be the best mom that I can be and naturally I research things to death to figure out what approach we will take and the ones that don't really go along with the way we want to raise our children. I have looked up potty training in dozens of different places and can't really find a good resource. Here is the background. Areyna started on her own in July when she was 29 months. She gave us the signs that led us to believe that she was interested. She knew she couldn't poop and peepee in the pool outside so we brought her little potty outside and she went in that for a long time. Then on our way out the door one day she went poop in the potty and she was so excited. The problem was, we were heading out the door and wouldn't be returning back home for over a week. That has been the problem all along. We travel so much that by the time she gets back into the swing of things we have to leave again and it's terribly hard to be consistent on the road or in an unfamiliar place. So, we thought she finally had it by the time October rolled around. She was in her "big girl undies", (we don't like the "p" word around here=) ), for about 3 weeks, going EVERY time but then all of a sudden, she quits on us. Then, Josh leaves the country for a couple of weeks and it's down hill from there. Josh came back and she is back to going about 1 time a day. Yesterday, Josh put her in room time and said, "Now Rainy, if you have to go potty tell me and you can get a piece of candy." and wouldn't you know a few minutes into room time she has to go. We used to give her candy after every time she would go for a reward but then she was so consistent with it I weaned her down to just a single sticker. It doesn't seem to be doing it for her though. How do you wean a child from the rewards and how long does this back and forth stage go on in potty training? Is this even normal? If you have ANY advice please pass it on. I know it's all in her timing, but when do you have to pull out the big guns because you KNOW she can do it and she's being lazy?

3 comments:

Jennifer Hambrick said...

Tasha, you always hit the new milestones with Areyna first...and Kelly and I learn so much from you =) Obviously, I don't have any advice because we aren't even close to that stage yet...but I just wanted to say that I think you are an awesome Mom and have handled every other new challenge with your kids with grace, patience, and creativity...so I'm sure you will figure this one out too!

Glad to hear your family is back together again!

love you - Jenn

Emily Jennings said...

Well, first of all, how did I miss that you had a blog??? I just read Josh's and always wish that there was more about your family.

Ok. Hmmm. The thing that worked the best for us is nakedness. Typically my kids won't pee or poop when they are naked. So when we are home, we would just let them go barebottomed and bring the potty into the room we were in.

I have this other friend that said she potty trained ALL of her kids within 2 weeks using the barebottom method. She just left the house as seldom as she could.

As for rewards...I don't know. I use for other things. You are right, once you start it, its hard to stop.

Hang in there. There are kids going to kindergarten in diapers.

Rhonda said...

Hey Tasha! I totally understand what you are going through. We went through something similar with Jubal. He was showing signs of being ready very early and looked like he was going to be potty trained quickly but then one day he seemed like he was not interested. It was crazy. I didn't understand why one day he was using the potty and then the next he wasn't. I prayed about it and just tried very hard to be patient and understanding. Stephen and I would remind/ask consistently but other than that we ended up being really laid back about it. Then one day he decided he wanted to go, all the time. It was crazy. He was literally potty trained in a couple days. It was amazing! I know all kids are different but it seemed like when we decided to be real laid back about it and let him do it on his own, he got it. Once Areyna's little mind and body start getting it, she will be going like a champ. Hang in there. You are doing a good job and she'll get it. Take care! It's so great reading your blog.
Rhonda