Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Baanah, Recah and Who?

I have been reading through II Samuel lately. Today I read chapter 4. The Lord really pulled something out of this passage for me today. See, David has already been anointed King, but he is kind of in the transition stages after King Saul's death. He knows God's calling on his life and he trusts the Lord to fulfill his Word, but he is being patient and waiting on the Lord's timing. In the mean time there is a battle going on between the house of Saul and the house of David. If you remember, Saul spent the last several years of his life trying to kill David and Saul's whole house kind of adopted this mentality. It carried on even after Saul died. Slowly David's enemies are turning around and trying to prove to David that they are on his side by "getting rid" of David's enemies. This whole 4th chapter was about these two guys named Baanah and Recah who have quite an agenda. They were leaders of raiding bands who's boss was Saul's son Ish-Bosheth. One day they decided to go kill Ish-Bosheth because he was showing signs of weakness in comparison to David. They wanted a STRONGER leader because I suppose they thought they could get more out of him. So, they go to Ish-Bosheth's house and stab and kill him while he's sleeping. I love David's response when they bring Ish-Bosheth's head to David as a prized possession, "As surely as the Lord lives, who has delivered me out of all trouble, when a man told me, 'Saul is dead,' and thought he was bringing good news, I seized him and put him to death in Ziklag. That was the reward I gave him for his news! How much more-when wicked men have killed an innocent man in his own house and on his own bed-should I not now demand his blood from your hand and rid the earth of you!" See, David knew that the Lord would take care of him and protect him. He didn't need others to go out and dominate the land for him. Even when King Saul was on his heels and about to kill him, he PRAYED for Saul and for his own safety. I pray that God would give me faith like that!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Thanks for that Tash. If only we could love our enemies like David did. That's humbling.
Rhonda