Saturday, February 9, 2008

"Super Mom vs. Slacker Mom"

Josh got me a great book for Christmas by Lysa Terkeurst called "The Bathtub Is Overflowing but I Feel Drained". I definitely recommend this read. I started off reading it like any other book and have now started using in with my quiet time. It is so applicable to ALL mom's in any stage of motherhood. I've loved every chapter so far, but yesterday and today's chapters have left me feeling exceptional "filled up". Yesterday's chapter was diving into the issue of being the kind of mom God wants us to be in our given time and our given circumstances. Here is a quick excerpt:
"Just as I don't like hats, I don't like labels, either. I want to be a good mom for the kids God has entrusted to my care. I don't want to be a slacker mom or a supermom. I just want to be the kind of mom God intends for me to be. I want to be a unique mom with gifts, talents, attitudes, beliefs, and convictions all my own. Because I surrender my heart and my walk to God every day, I believe He gives me wisdom to handle just what I need to handle each and every day. I want to be me, and I'm okay with that. Some days I'll be a little more like a slacker. Other days I might feel a little supermomish. But most days I'm just going to do the best I can with the circumstances I'm handed."
So often I want to appear to be the mom who has it ALL TOGETHER ALL THE TIME. I believe that is a stronghold in this perfection-seeking life of mine. I want to learn to just be me and not "take too much credit for their (my children's) good or too much blame for their bad." I want to be a "REALISTIC MOM" by "Doing what you can with what you've been given based on what is realistic".
I'll post what I learned in today's chapter soon...

4 comments:

Emily Jennings said...

I love good book recommendations. thanks. I will have to read that one.

the broomes said...

Thanks for sharing such great insight...I struggle with this big time. What incredible freedom to be who we are IN CHRIST for our kids rather than "supermom"!!!! I'll definitely check out the book-- it sounds like a great one! Thanks, Tash!
(by the way...I checked out the CVS deal...you are my coupon hero:))

Rhonda said...

Thanks for that message. Isn't it crazy how we put so many expectations on ourselves as moms and all God wants is for us to be real? I really appreciate your transparency and willingness to share what you are learning.

Tonya said...

Thanks for the post. Alot of times I try to be supermom and super CPA and both areas tend to fall very, very short! Oh, thanks for the money saving tips. I appreciate them. If you have any more, please post. I am always looking for a way to save money!